This window frame came out of the childhood home of a friend. I feel very honored to have it.


It was made into a mirror years ago and painted a semigloss red. 






It hangs in the hallway between the garage and the kitchen. We call this hallway "the mudroom". Mostly from habit. Our last home had a mudroom.

Since painting the kitchen/ family room/ mudroom Springfield Tan (Benjamin Moore) and moving to a more neutral color palate, the red looked a litttle garish. I decided to repaint it Graphite (Annie Sloan Chalk Paints) and put some age on it.



Painting furniture, I have discovered, is wonderfully fun and creative! Making a new piece look old and beautifully worn is so artistic! I could go a little crazy with paints I think!




No sanding, no priming just painting! I used 1 coat of ASCP in Graphite and touched up areas that needed a little more paint.
After the paint dried, I used AS Dark  Soft Wax and applied it liberally all over the mirror. When the wax was dry, I rubbed it to remove the excess.

Then the artistic process began... a little dab of Valspar antiquing glaze in Asphaltum,  sanding, and more glaze and more Dark Wax and more AS Paint. Until it "felt" right. Then a final coat of AS Clear Soft Wax was applied, dried and buffed to a lovely subdued finish.

I was very pleased with the red paint that showed up in the "worn" places. I love new color! The mirror looks dramatic in a soft worn way!


SG Trick

Through blogging I have discovered something that is a great decorating help

Taking pictures of an area in your home it can tell you a whole lot! 

What we miss or overlook with our own eyes the camera will pick up.

Here is an example:

The hanging drum light is new and coordinates with the light above my kitchen sink. The mirror works much better with the colors and the style of my kitchen/mud room area.






This area looks fine to me because I see it everday




BUT...

It could look so much more "finished" and interesting. And the camera picks that up! A little ho-hum isn't it?

By looking at the photo here is what this area needs...



1~  A nubby woven jute runner  from  PB outlet I was considering for this hall but left there. I'm running out today to pick it up.

Flat-Braided Jute Rug, 2.5 x 9


2~   oil rubbed bronze door knobs would look very fresh 





3 pulls on the hall closet would add a nice touch



4~  something above the mirror, not too tall, would look nice... I'm thnking black framed family silhouettes with interesting mats.




5  maybe a blessing above my door

Bless This Home and All Who ENTER Vinyl Lettering Wall Sayings Home Decor Art

6 The security pad needs updating. Call the company and price getting new alarm keypads (ours are 16 years old)

7~  Paint brass switch plates with oil rubbed bronze paint and install new dimmer switch


These images were also pinned to MUDROOM IDEAS (click on "mudroom") on Pinterest giving me an on-line design board to work from!

Keep posted as I pull this mudroom together to be as updated and fresh as my new kitchen.

I know that you have been patiently (hopefully) waiting for the kitchen reveal... I can't wait to show you!!!!!!  I just have to finish the bar stools and then it will be ready! Thanks for hanging in there with me!

I am participating in...
~WOW Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
POTPOURRI FRIDAY at 2895



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top