Since the Middle Ages man has been on a quest to turn baser metals into gold.  Midus had the touch! And a silly goose was a million dollar layer!

I wish this post today was about gold ... but it is about OIL RUBBED BRONZE.
This is not a flashy post... but VERY practical!  Sorry, no pretty pictures!

As styles change, so do our tastes. I have a house full of good quality brass switch and outlet plates. Some are staying brass because I like them with my decor, but other's look out of place... especially in my kitchen and family room!




Not wanting to invest in new plates, I repainted them... And they look great! They have a very authentic Oil Rubbed Bronze look.

It was so easy... 

SUPPLIES
~Rust-Oleum Metalic in Oil Rubbed Bronze
The can on the right. The one on the left is for another post~ spray painting brass on a fireplace.
Look at the brass switch plates in the background!



~Brown Switch Plate Screws


SG TIP
When spray painting use a well ventilated area. I set up a table in my garage covered with newspaper. A large pizza box became my "spray box". I elevated each switch plate on 2 plastic cups to easily spray the sides.
See pictures below.


PROCEEDURE

1. Remove plates from wall. 

2. Lightly Sand! Use a very fine grade sand paper. You want to rough the finish up just a tad to give it some "tooth".  I sanded horizontally first, then vertically.



3. Set the switch plates on cups to make it easier to spray the sides.




4. Spray according to the directions. I did not prime the plates, but you could. 
I sprayed 1 very light coat and let it dry. Then...



A second heavier coat.  This completely covered the brass.




5. Wait till TOTALLY dry!  Don't hurry this step.



6. Use BROWN swicth plate screws to fix the plate to the wall.




TA-DA! 
Brass to Oil Rubbed Bronze!!!!!

Now look at those old dimmers and white toggles!
My next project... replacing them!

I also have my eye on the brass doorknobs, hinges, light fixtures, fire place trim...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top