When I was a very young girl, living in California, my mother would put a chunk of pomegranate in my lunch box. I can still vividly remember the little hot pink gems of deliciousness snuggled down in a creamy white rind-like membrane. I would eat one seed at a time, savoring their sweet/tart elixir! I loved my bright pink fingers stained by the juice.

When I became a mother my children also learned this delight!!!  When pomegranates appeared in the grocers they would clamor to take one home.

We knew how wonderful pomegranates tasted then... but now we know how fabulously good they are for us too!

The kind folks at POM Wonderful sent me a case of POM pomegranate juice. Our family has a love affair with POM! I use it in smoothies and my children drink it like water! When the case came I had to hide 2 bottles so I had something to cook with. Thank, POM people! My boys loved having pom in the frig!

I went to POM Wonderful web site and had a blast discovering all the YUMMY recipes made with POM. Click HERE to visit the nice people at POM!

A recipe that was very interesting to me was Pomegranate Glazed Cornish Game Hens. What a scrumptious thought... Cornish Game Hens and Pomegranate!!!! Now of course I put my own culinary twist on this recipe. To see the original, click HERE.

StoneGable Pomegranate Glazed Cornish Game Hens have a herbed compound butter rubbed under their skin of it's breast and tiny legs. The birds are stuffed with herbs and shallots and roasted.. A glaze made with Pom Wonderful juice and other aromatic ingredients is brushed over the hens and they are finished under the broiler. Beautiful and delicious.... and my kitchen smelled fabulous! The glaze gives this dish a wonderful sweet/tart full bodied taste and a gorgeous color! Serve it with the extra glaze.

StoneGable Pomegranate Glazed Cornish Game Hens
3-4 Rock Cornish Game Hens
5 TBS. Compound butter- click HERE for recipe
salt and pepper
fresh parsley
fresh thyme
4 shallots

1 cup Pom Wonderful Pomegranate juice
2 TBS finely chopped shallots
1 twig thyme leaves
1/2 cup good white wine

Pomegranate for garnish


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Wash and pat dry game hens.  Slip your index finger between the skin of the hen and the breast meat. Do the same for the top of the drumstick. Rub 1 TBS compound butter between the skin and meat.



Salt and pepper cavity of hens. Add a bunch of fresh parsley, 2 twigs of thyme and a peeled whole shallot to the cavity of the bird.


Tie legs together and put in a roasting pan or baking dish.





Roast for 1 hour.

Meanwhile, make the glaze. Pour 1 cup of Pom Wonderful pomegranate juice into a saucepan. Add wine, shallots and thyme. Simmer until the liquid reduces to 1/2 cup.



To release arils from the pomegranate, cut a large X in the bottom of the pomegranate. Submerge it in a bowl of cold water and pull apart under water. The arils will sink to the bottom of the bowl.





When hens have roasted for 1 hour, baste them liberally with the pomegranate glaze and return to the oven for 5-10 minutes. Remove from oven and glaze a second time. Heat broiler on low. Put hens under broiler and broil until browned. Keep a watchful eye so hens don't burn.

Plate. Add herbs and pomegranate arils and pieces. Serve the extra glaze or pan juices on the side.



I hope you give this a try! It is company worthy and very easy... and so so YUMMY!



I am participating in Foodie Friday at Designs By Gollum.



Thanksgiving Countdown



Tomorrow's goal was to have your Menu and Guest List finished.

Begin writing or copying your recipes and putting them into your notebook. I know this seems like extra work, but everything will be in one place. I can't tell you the time I have wasted and frustration I felt because I misplaced a recipe! I never worry about that now!

As you copy your recipes, write your grocery list.

Look through magazines, blogs and books for table inspiration. Begin to get ideas for the theme and look of your Thanksgiving table. Set a goal to have your tablescaspe idea firmed up by Tuesday.

If you are a not hosting Thanksgiving but are a guest, order a centerpiece for the Thanksgiving table and have it sent the day before your feast. Call your hostess well ahead and let her know you would like to send her a centerpiece. Also consult with her about colors and theme.  If she already has a plan for her table, the centerpiece can be used elsewhere.



I love to get away to Borders for an hour or two to drink a big cup of Starbucks Coffee and read magazines for inspiration. Take notes and pictures.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top