Comfort Food- Individual Chicken Pies



As a part of Menu Planning this week (see blog 12/ I3/09) I challenged myself to use what was in my bursting-at-the-seams freezer and pantry.  So, I am only cooking from my freezer till everything is gone! I vastly cut my grocery budget (AGHHHHHHH!) too! I may need lots of support, and I can't imagine what foodie friday will look like in a few weeks but I am determined. ( A special thank you to Maggie at The White Farmhouse  for a turtorial on how to cook venison- love you for that!)

I had cooked and cubed chicken in my freezer and a pie crust dough left over from Thanksgiving. I also found turkey but decided to use the chicken. I will use the turkey in soup along with the carcus.

With these two ingredients I made Chicken Pie. ( I also had 4 bags of carrots and 4 large boxes of chicken broth from Thanksgining) Ultimate comfort food. And there is something about getting a pie all of your own. I made them in big soup cups. I thought that would be cozy and fun! Served with a crisp salad, they are perfect for a cold night!

Recipe:
2-4  boneless, skinnless chicken breasts, diced ( already in freezer)
1/2  meduim onion chopped
1 bag frozen peas and carrots ( I use carrots, because I am not a pea fan)
2 potatoes peeled , diced, cooked and drained.
3 1/2 cups chicken stock
2 tsp chicken bullion
1/4 cup flour
4 TBS butter
1tsp dry thyme
3 TBS fresh parsley
salt and pepper
pie crust (freezer from Thanksgiving) I make Martha Stewarts-it is the best I have ever made. But follow it to the letter!
http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/basic-pie-dough
egg wash & and sea salt

Preheat oven 375 degrees.

In a large skillet add butter and heat over medium heat till slightly bubbly. Add onion and cook until transulucent and soft. Add flour and stir. Cook flour for 4 minutes. Add chicken stock  and chicken bullion and whisk. Continue to cook until thickened. Adjust thickness if needed by adding more chicken stock. Add peas and carrots, potatoes, chicken, thyme, parsley and salt and pepper to taste.




Transfer to individual oven-proof bowls. And top with pie crust, overlapping the edge of the bowls and putting 2-3 slits in top of crust with a knife for steam. Using a pastry brush, brush on egg wash and sprinkle sea salt on top of pastry dough.




Put bowl on sheet pan and cook for 40-45 minutes.
Serve- pies will be VERY HOT.



Makes 4-6 servings, depending on the size of your bowls.

ENJOY!



I am participating in Foodie Friday @ Designs By Gollumn. For more great recipes check out Michael's blog!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top