StoneGable Caramel Corn


Popcorn = Love!  I consider popcorn to be in a food group all its own! It is the definition of YUMMY!



I make it the old fashion way. In a big pot with corn oil. Hot and lightly salted. Oh, just thinking about it makes me swoon! This is my guilty pleasure!



And dripping carmel laced with molasses all over it is scrumptious! Although I am not a sweet eater, Caramel Corn is a wonderful treat! Perfect for fall... fun to eat on the run in a take-out container!




I tried a couple of recipes on the Internet and none were that good really. So I tweaked what I did like about them and came up with my own version of Caramel Corn. I'm not a fan of Kettle Corn but love Cracker Jacks... and discovered it was the molasses in the recipe that appeals to me. It makes the Carmel Corn not so sweet and much more interesting.

Homemade Carmel Corn is light years better than the store bought kind!!!!!

StoneGable Caramel Corn



4 quarts of fresh popcorn (make it on the stove)
1 cup peanuts
4 TBS butter
1 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 TBS molasses
1/4 tsp salt

In full disclosure, I made 2 batches of the caarmel to cover the popcorn. The first time I made it, I did not like the caramel to popcorn ratio.  Doubling the recipe for the caramel covered the popcorn much better.

Preheat oven 250 degrees.
Fill a bowl with ice water. Keep it on hand in case of a carmel burn.
Pop corn. Put popcorn and peanuts on a large rimmed baking sheet and put it in the oven.



Meanwhile, add butter, sugars, corn syrup, molasses and salt in a heavy bottomed pot and heat over medium heat until boiling, stirring. Use a candy thermometer and heat until carmel reaches 290 degrees.

Take popcorn out of oven and pour caramel over popcorn in a continuous stream. Put popcorn back in the oven for 10 minutes. Stir after 5 minutes.



Cool Caramel Corn and break apart.



YUMMY!

I am joining Designs By Gollum for Foodie Friday. My go-to cookbook!

I am participating in Tickled Pink at 504 Main. Holly is our wonderful host! You will want to see all the creativity going on over there!!!!!!! Thanks for featuring my Fall Wreath, Holly!



504 Main

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top