Autumn’s Softer Side:


The colors tend towards vibrant and attention grabbing. We all have a love affair with the hues of this season! But I wanted to call attention to the softer side of Autumn.

(Left click to make pictures appear larger)

My inspiration came from the very popular white pumpkins that are now on the market. Little ghost pumpkins, so aptly named, are a fun alternative to their orange brothers. Larger white varieties are the shining stars of fall decor. So I had to bring a few home to play.
Muted tones of clay, olive, and brown were mixed with whites, silver and crystal. My idea was to create a striking yet serene tablescape. I wanted the white pumpkins to be elevated in status and take on an elegant air by using some of my silver pieces.
The table is set for 10- honoring the graduation of my niece from our beloved Penn State- Congrats Jennie!
The tablecloth is a clay colored, linen-like cotton. It is very textural and earthy... contrasting nicely with the smooth and sophicated silver. (HomeGoods)
The napkins were also a HomeGoods buy. Somewhere in the taupe color family. Folded like “bishop hats”, they give interest and a sense of old-style formality. I love sitting down at a table, gently shaking out a beautifully folded napkin and sliding it onto my lap. A posh luxury! There are wonderful tutorials on the internet for folding napkins.


Real and faux white pumpkins combine with Magnolia sprays and glittery glass acorns forming an earthy, elegant centerpiece.


The large footed silver platter holds a bounty of Autumn. I remember my Mother using this unusual piece ever since I was a little girl. She blessed me with it years ago and now I use it often. A real sentimental favorite!







Back view of centerpiece

Even though the platter is only slightly elevated , it grabs center stage attention.


Hammered silver based cylinders (Pottery barn) are filled with coffee beans, white pillar candles and glitzy glass acorns. Using coffee as a filler not only continues the color scheme but smells great. See post 10/10/09 for more ideas with coffee beans.




A family heirloom- silver candelabra with 3 white candles

Silver candlesticks with white candles- That paring promotes an elegant and classic feel. Given to my mother as a wedding gift.

Little Ghost pumpkins fancied up on ornate, tall silver candlesticks. A gift from my sister.



I love to use my Waterford and China- all gifts. Some were wedding gifts and many were Christmas gifts- My mother and mother-in-law gave me a place setting of my china or a few pieces of Waterford every year for the first 15 (or so) years Bob and I were married. I have a lovely collection. I am continuing this tradition with my newly married daughter.


Waterford “Lizmore” salt and pepper shakers.
Mixing pricier elements with everyday things does work. Waterford “Lizmore” wine goblets, and Christal d’Arques “Longchamp” water glasses. Unfortunately, I lost some of my Waterford water goblets to use over the years. I only have have 7 left. (Maybe Santa is listening…Mom?)



Silver butter dish in background found at a tag sale. It was in awful condition. But with a little silver polish and sweat equity the butter dish was restored to its original luster.

Wedding china- Royal Doulton, White Nile.

Everyday dishes- Noritake, Italian Countryside.


Silver-plate flatware. I got this at a flea market for $28.00 for 11 place settings! I enjoy it like it cost 1 million!

Collecting over the years has given me an appreciation for many styles. I rarely think that something is out-of-date, because when mixed with other pieces in the right way it can look updated and interesting!


I am joining Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday- a real treat to visit- go give it a look.
Thanks, Susan!





 
 
A special thanks to Chari @ Happy to Design for hosting Sunday Favorites- Revisiting our favorite posts!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top