Fall Porch:



It all started with repurposing my tired fall wreath (see blog 10-18-09). I got rid of all the old decorations on it and gussied it up with some pretty, new fall accouterments.

So……… while I was hanging the new and improved fall wreath on the front door, I thought that the porch décor could use a little sprucing up, too. I always a zillion ideas floating around in my head and started thinking… and dreaming….and scheming

My dream idea was to put 2 large footed urns filled with some kind of evergreen on either side of the front door. So I stopped dreaming and decided to see how I could make this a reality. I found 2 urns, at a garden center. I fell in love with them. Large concrete-like, footed urns. And the best news- they were on sale!
I then scoured out options for an evergreen. The best choice for the pots, and the weather was Alberta Spruce.

After stuffing the urns, trees, soil and rocks for the bottom of the pots into my car, I gleefully made my way home. With the help of Bobby, (my darling ,yet poor unsuspecting hubby) we got to work planting and positioning.
So……. Here is what my porch looks like (at least for today).


Large urns with Alberta Spruce.

The mouth of the urn is large enough to accommodate the spruce and to have extra area to plant and decorate around the base of the tree. A white pumpkin and colorful gourds were filled in around a planted decorative cabbage.










Pumpkins at the base of the urns draws the eye down to the ground for more interest. The jack-o-lantern is faux and plugs in to light up. After Halloween, it is turned around so the face is hidden.









Pumpkins and baskets planted with decorative cabbages carry on the theme. The cabbages last much longer than mums and are a nice change.








This summer I put planted geraniums in a straight row up to my porch, and I wanted to repeat that look with pumpkins and decorative cabbages.

Summer: Can you find Baby, the cat?



Fall :







Jack-be-little and Little ghost pumpkins line the top window above the door.





Overall Look:


Now, onto the side of the porch… Stay tuned for more….

Thanks to Susan at Between Naps On The Porch for hosting Met Monday!





I am also participationg in Posh Porches with Shannon at Posh Pieces.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top