I just returned from a 4 day retreat! What a wonderful and joyous time! And what I returned home to was a newly painted family room, eating area and kitchen...also dusty drapes in my living room, pictures and mirrors lining the walls of the hallway and tables set up in the garage with the cluttery content of my kitchen. A whole lot of work. But my boys did a masterful job with their paintbrushes and worked all weekend... Thanks, boys!!!
I just LOVE the new color!!!! As soon as I get the new furniture I'll give you all a peek!

It is also Lampeter  fair week. I have a big job ahead of me this week. I am a judge for our local fair queen contest.(Near and dear to my heart, my daughter was our local fair queen and went on to win the State Fair Queen title and Miss Congeniality-okay, proud Mom moment over)  Duties Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I hope to spend some time at the fair on Thursday getting homespun pictures and quips for the blog! Our local fair is the highlight of the year in my hometown!

And I have company coming for Tuesday~ Thursday. It is going to be a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kind of week. I could use a whole lot of organization...and prayers!

A little note to my blogging friends~ I am sorry that I have not visited as I usually do. Things here are a little hectic and I am trying to catch up. Please be patient... I'll be around to visit soon. I miss all of your beautiful blogs! Thanks and love!


Monday
Sauteed Chicken
Mashed Potatoes
Carrots

Recipe: Sauteed ChickenI just made this a couple of weeks ago, but it is near and dear to my heart. It makes my home smell like my Nani's home! This is super comfort food.  Nani's Sauteed Chicken can be found on Thursday's menu!

Tuesday: Slow Cooker Day
Mexican Explosion Salad
Chili
Rice
Corn Bread

Recipe: Mexican Explosion Salad
A real winner! This is my go-to salad when I serve Mexican or Tex-Mex fare. Look for Mexican Explosion Salad on Thursday's menu.

Recipe: StoneGable Chili
StoneGable chili  is a little sweet... a  little spicy. It certainly is a little different and delicious! I married a family recipe with a gourmet recipe I love. Serve it over rice and sprinkle some good cheddar cheese and crushed tortillas over the top. YUMMY! Pass the sour cream and chopped green onions too!

2 lbs lean ground beef
1 large onions, peeled and chopped
2 large cloves garlic, minced finely
1 large green or red pepper, chopped
1 large can of stewed tomatoes
1 can kidney beans or black beans, rinsed and drained (I combine the two)
2/3 - 1 cup of catsup
1/2 -2/3 cups chili sauce
2 TBS chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
salt and pepper
a sprinkle of taco seasonings from a packet (if I have it, I use it)

To make the slow cooker version, brown meat, onions and peppers. Add the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook for 8 hours on low.



Wednesday Fair Day
Out to dinner at the Lampeter Fair!

Thursday
Salmon and Fettuccine in Basil Cream Sauce
Spinach with Onions in Garlic Oil

Recipe: Salmon and Fettuccine in Basil Cream Sauce
6 salmon fillets
1 1/2 TBS butter
3 shallots, peeled and finely minced
1 clove garlic, peeled and pressed
1 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
3/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup light cream
2 TBS freshly squeezed lemon juice
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown salmon in the skillet for about 3 minutes each side.  Remove the salmon from the skillet and place on a rimmed baking sheet. You may have to cook the salmon in batches. Do not crowd the pan. Place fish in oven for 5-8 minutes until done. The salmon should be slightly pink in the center, it will continue to cook. Tent with foil and keep warm.
 Over medium low heat and add the shallots and garlic to the pan.
Saute, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
Add the basil, parsley, wine, cream, lemon juice, salt and pepper to the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture is reduced by half.  
To serve, slide fish  in the sauce and warm. Serve the salmon  a bed of cooked fettuccine covered with  sauce.

Friday
Beef Roast with Root Veggies with Rich Beef Gravy
Scalloped Potatoes

Recipe: Beef Roast with Root Veggies
1 3-4 lb beef chuck tender roast
1 tsp garlic salt
2 cloves garlic
2 onions, peeled and quartered
8 large carrots, peeled cut horizontally and cut in to  2 inch pieces
4 celery stalks, cut into 2-4 inch pieces
1 turnip cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
6 potatoes cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup good red wine.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Rub garlic salt all over roast.
In a large skillet add 1 TBS olive oil and brown roast on all sides. About 8 minutes in total.
In a large roasting pan add roast and distribute veggies around roast.
Meanwhile in the skillet add wine (off of the heat). Turn on heat and scrape up any brown bits. Add broth and stir until heated. Pour over roast.
Cook until roast reaches 150 degrees or about 2 hours. Baste roast occasionally. Add more beef broth if needed.
Remove roast and veggies. Tent roast with foil for 15 minutes to rest. Cut and serve with veggies.

Recipe: Rich Beef Gravy
Scrape up any bits from the roaster pour into a skillet. Add more beef broth to equal 2 cups. Add 1/4 cup of red wine. Heat till simmering. Make a slurry using 1/4 cup flour and 2/3  cup of beef broth. Add to simmering broth/wine and stir until thick. Add pepper to taste.  Pour over meat and veggies.

Note: I use Swanson Beef Broth in my roast, and add Campbell's double strength beef broth to my gravy. I do not add salt to the gravy because the broth is salty.

Saturday
Beef and Bean Burritos
Spanish Rice

Recipe: Beef and Bean Burritos
1 pound  ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
salt and pepper
1 can  refried beans
1 can enchilada sauce, divided
6 ~8-inch flour tortillas
garnishes

In a large skillet over medium heat, cook ground beef, onion, and garlic until meat is browned, stirring often to break up meat. Drain. Add chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper and  simmer for 10 minutes. Add refried beans and 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce. Heat thoroughly.

Soften Tortilla by placing them in the microwave between wet paper towels and heat on high for 1 minute. Spoon about 1/2 cup of the ground beef mixture onto each tortilla; roll tightly and place seam-side down. Spoon remaining enchilada sauce over tortillas. Garnish and serve with any of the following: shredded cheese, salsa, sliced ripe olives, chopped tomatoes, sour cream or guacamole and shredded lettuce. Burrito recipe makes 6 burritos.

Sunday
Nani's Vegetable Soup
Crusty Bread

Recipe: Nani's Vegetable Soup
I must be missing my grandmother! Monday's and today's recipes take my back to my grandmother's kitchen filled with wonderful homestyle food and LOVE!

This soup is one you will not be able to get enough of! Each spoonful so rich and full of veggies and so much more. Cozy and warm... like a hug!
Nani's Vegetable Soup can be found on Sunday's menu.



I am joining Organizing Junkie for Menu Plan Monday.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top