I have recently been on a search for a few topiaries. They add such a touch of organic interest and natural beauty to almost any decor.  While searching I learned that topiarires are also very expensive!!!!
I found some really stunning, rustic topiaries in a local shop... for $49.99 a piece.

Wanting to put 2 topiaries on my mantle this summer, the cost would be doubled. I knew could better spend almost $100.00, so I decided to make my own topiaries.

The rustic luxe look has my attention these days. But like all trends, they come and go~ so I 'm not investing  big $$$ in decor that I won't have for the long haul! I have been collecting blue and white for years and love how it pairs with neutrals and rustics... and topiaries!



Using what I found here at home, I made 3 topiaries for free!!!!  The only cost was my time. What do you have lying around the house that you could transform into a fabulous topiary?





Rustic Summer Topiary
1 large willow ball
greens with tiny leaves
straight branches
container
Styrofoam
moss
burlap
hot glue gun
dust buster (clean-up as you go)

Cut greens and glue to the willow ball. I collect odds and ends as they go on sale and put then away for future use. I bought these greens for 70 % off.





Glue greens until you have evenly covered the willow ball. These large willow balls originally cost me $4.50 a piece. I just keep collecting them a few at a time. If you don't have one or can't find them you could make a grapevine ball.  I think that would work just as well.



It is interesting to leave areas uncovered so the willow branches show through.




I found 2 rustic containers at a thrift store for 50 cents last winter and tucked them away for a future project.  They were perfect for the base of the topiaries! Terracotta, galvanized or pottery containers would work well too. (See the interesting container I used at the end of this post!) There are so many really creative containers for a topiary!




Cut and secure Styrofoam in the bottom of the container. You could also rocks, sand or quick dry concrete as an alternative to Styrofaom.




The stem of the topiaries are dead hydrangea branches I had pruned early this spring. They were so light and straight, I put then in the garden shed thinking I'd use them to stake up things in my garden.

I chose to use these as opposed to a dowel rod, they look more believable. Take a walk and see what you can find in your own yard!




They were originally dead looking and washed out so I used a furniture touch up marker to give them life and a richer color.



Twist 2 or more branches together to make an interesting stem and secured each end with a rubber band.




Hot glue the stem into the willow ball. Liberally use the hot glue to secure.






Stick the other end of the stem deep into the styrofoam and liberally glue to hold.



Cover styrofoam with moss and tie a strip of burlap onto the stem to secure it together.






Enjoy!

I made 2 topiaries for my mantle.






Be creative! I used an antique blue and white creamer as a pot for this little topiary.






It sits with a collection of blue and white china on the ledge of my new kitchen hood.



Topiaries can give life and interest to any area! They fill space and their height is so visually pleasing!



They are easy to make and don't have to be expensive. I hope I have inspired you to make a topiary of your own!





I am participating in:

WOW US WEDNESDAY at Savvy Southern Style.
Table Top Tuesday t A Stroll Thru Life




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top