Garden Plans and Scones:


The ground is still snow covered with only a few patches of brown grass peeking out here and there. And today's forcast calls for... snow flurries. Winter is holding on with both icy hands. But I know, because it's March, that winter's grip will soon be loosed and giveway to the new green of Spring!

My thoughts have turned the corner already. Dreaming of the smell of blooming lilacs and pots full of colorful annuals, spring has come... if in spirit only!

This morning I am tarrying for just a while over a good cup of coffee and a melt-in-your-mouth scone (link to recipe below). Each spring I treat myself to a new garden/ inspiration book. This year my new book, The Kitchen Garden by Alan Buckingham, is a treasure full of month by month information and sublime photos!  It is time to plan the vegetable garden. My favorite!





A cabbage leaf plate fittingly holds Vanilla Cream Scones in this garden inspired tablescape. Don't forget a generous dollop of lemon curd. Fitz and Floyd- Vista Bella.





Bunnies are a fun addition to this table... just not my vegetable garden!

A pewter bunny napkin ring holds a botanical green and and natural cotton napkin. (Both years old that I cannot remember where the came from.)





Peter Cottontail and his sister Floppsy are thinking those big cabbage leaves would make a delicious breakfast! The cabbage leaves were a gift from my dear friend Fran and the bunnies came from Eve's Garden.







A burlap runner (Pottery Barn) and twig placemat (HomeGoods) bring natural and earthy elements to the scape.





Nothing says spring like a nest full of eggs waiting to be hatched. The egg filled cloche brings height and interest to the table. (Cloche- HomeGoods)








Another little twiggy nest is waiting for it's eggs. (Old Millhouse Shoppe)





Lettuce and green onion seeds are ready to be planted. They are lovers of cool weather so they will be planted later this month. (Wegman's)



 

As I am reading, I see I can plant early garlic and shallots this month too. Just add that to my TO DO list.



Cream Scones:
These wonderful, light scones come from savorysweetlife.com. They are truely the BEST scones I have ever made. I did as suggested and weighed my flour- I really think this made a huge difference. And I also used a large capacity food processor to combine all the ingredients. EASY!

They freeze very well. Just make and cool according to directions. I put them on a baking sheet and froze them, and then put them in a freezer storage bag when they were totally frozen. To thaw, put in microwave for 1 minute on high. Yummy!




 I am participating in Tablescape Thursday with Susan from Between Naps On The Porch. Each week the nicest people get together and play with their dishes! Go see!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top