I was in a adventurous mood. I had planned to make little sweet palmiers (elephant ears) and got impatient while they were firming up in the frig.

 With one more sheet of pastry left I thought, "Why couldn't I make a savory version of palmiers?" 
Foraging in my frig I came up with three cheeses and some fresh chives. "Okay, good enough!" And the results were delicious...







It's so good to be in the kitchen, creating something yummy and easy and a recipe my family will LOVE!









SWEET PALMIER

1 sheet puff pastry
Sugar
Cinnamon
Sanding Sugar (or regular sugar)

Make cinnamon sugar by mixing 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon together in a small bowl. Set aside.
On a covered surface  (I used my pastry cloth) sprinkle sugar liberally. Roll dough to about a 10 x 12 inch rectangle. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.

Starting at the one long end, roll up until roll reaches the center.











Roll up other side to meet in the center.








Put roll on a parchment lined baking sheet and pop into the freezer for 10 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. (This is when I made the savory palmiers also to this point).

Cut in 1/2 inch slices. I think I would cut them just a little bigger next time.







Place on a parchement lined baking sheet about 1-2 inches apart and sprinkle with sanding sugar. Put palmiers in the frig for 30 minutes.









Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown.

Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Peel off parchment and finish cooling on wire rack.










Savory Palmiers:
1 sheet puff pastry
1 1/2 cups cheeses. I used what I had at hand. Parmesan, sharp cheddar, and "Shaky" cheese, Kraft parmesan- okay, don't judge me! I was raised on the stuff!
dash red pepper
handfull of fresh chives, chopped
Kraft Parmesan cheese

Mix cheeses, red pepper and chives in a bowl, set aside.
On a covered surface (I used parchment paper) sprinkle shaky cheese to lightly cover surface.

Roll out dough to about a 10 x 12 inch rectangle.
Sprinkle with cheese. Don't load it up but make sure the dough is covered evenly. I had a little extra and popped it into the freezer for later use.







Roll sides like sweet palmiers. Put in freezer on a parchment lined baking sheet for 10 minutes.

Cut into 3/4 inch pieces. Place on parchment lined baking sheet and sprinkle with shakey cheese and put in frig for 30 minutes.










Bake for 15-18 minutes.

Cool for 10 minutes in baking sheet. Remove to wire rack. These can be eaten warm or cold.








The savory palmiers were my favorite. They would be a great hors d'oeuvere. Tonight is soup night here at  StoneGable. Soup always is comfort food to me. Not only is it delicious but very good for me too! These savory palmiers will be a great pairing.



Remember to

Pin It



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top