Memorial Day was originally called Remembrance Day.  First established to honor and remember soldier's who had lost their lives in the Civil War. Their graves were decorated with flags and flowers to remember them and their ultimate sacrifice.

Remembrance Day was later changed to Memorial Day and remains a day to honor American men and women who have given their lives so we can be a free nation!










At StoneGable we will mark this day with a trip to a  beautiful National Cemetary where my father is laid to rest and honor his memory with prayers and flowers. And then back to our home for a family barbecue to live out his legacy.

The inspiration for this table is our wonderful "Old Glory"! My heart sings when I see our flag. Being raised in a military family made me keenly grateful to be an American!








The table is set on our small patio overlooking neighboring farmlands.














Each place setting is a mix of red, white and blue  mismatched dishes.



















The square dishes have a wavy distressed border. The white plates are my very favorite leaf and berry plate I use in most tablescapes (both  HomeGoods).  The white salad plate has a pretty detailed rim, also slightly distressed. And the blue floral plates have a chintz look that dresses this table up a bit (both from Marshall's).









A textured bright red napkin is folded and placed on the blue chintz plate. Twiggy stars in blue and white rest on each napkin.









My mother's blue cups were lent to me for this table. I remember drinking coffee from them as a teenager!








Matching sugar and creamer, thanks Mom! I love to add colored sugar crystals to give a little punch to the sugar bowl...FUN!








Ice tea and lemonade will be served in my favorite bubble glasses.








Individual cobalt blue vases hold flowers and shooting stars!








This casual fun flatware adds more red to the table.







Isn't this the most patriotic tablecloth short of using a flag? I love how bright and cheery it makes the whole table.









I made the basket of geraniums several years ago and it sits on my family room coffee table all summer, sans the flags. But for this table I added the flags and  it became a tablescape centerpiece!










Memorial Day Menu
Barbecue Chicken
Homemade Coslaw
Macaroni And Cheese (my kids favorite)
Corn On The Cob
Angel Food Cake With Stawberries and Whipped Cream



Happy Memorial Day! Remember our men and women who serve and keep us safe! God Bless America!









0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top