Lemons... what yummy puckery wonderul citrus fruit! We love them...

This week I tried PRESERVED LEMONS and I discovered a whole new tasty dimension of mellow intense lemony flavor! Lemons... only more mysterious and serious and dare I say...sexy!

Come with me on a spicy, almost sinful culinary adventure...









A big thank you to Michael Lee at RATTLEBRIDGE FARM for sending me some fabulous Preserved Lemon products and the best salt... Citrus Salt.  CITRON LEMON CYPRUS FLAKE SEA SALT to be exact. 

And along with the food she asked me to come up with a recipe using them for my favorite...

Preserved lemons are so delicious. They aren't bright and lemony like a fresh lemon. But the brining makes them very mellow. 

The lemon flesh is not eaten but discarded. The pith and peel is eaten. It is only slightly bitter... in a good way... and marvelously exquisite!







Now... what to make?  

Preserved Lemons are a mainstay in Moroccan cooking.

 I love the olives, chicken, fresh fruits, vegetables, breads, sweet tea and sea food... all associated with Morocco. But I'm not wild about lamb (Scottish boarding school...mutton... long story!) and don't like cinnamon in meat dishes. Then there is the whole couscous thing!!!!

I decided to steer clear of any Moroccan influenced food and find...

~ a dish that was easy to make
~  and could be made in under 30 minutes
~ and be very very tasty!!!!

BINGO! 

I found a great recipe on Epicurious... and tweaked it!

My husband loved it and is taking some to work tomorrow. I think this is a company worthy meal that could be made for a very tasty and quick weeknight dinner!







STONEGABLE SPICY CRAB WITH PRESERVED LEMONS

1/2 lb gourmet linguini
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
1 cup cherry, grape or pear tomatoes, sliced in two
1/2 tsp crushed red peppers (more or less according to taste)
2 preserved lemon slices, flesh removed, rinsed and finely chopped
3 TBS butter
1/2 lb. jumbo lump crab meat
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped


Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add 2-3 TBS salt to the boiling water and let it come back to a boil. Add linguini and cook according to package directions. Drain.

Meanwhile, add 3 TBS of olive oil to a large skillet. Heat over a medium flame. Add onions and cook for 3 minutes until translucent. 

Add tomatoes and cook another 5 minutes until tomatoes are soft. 

Add the crushed red pepper and preserved lemons to the pan. Cook for 1 minute. 

Add the lump crab meat and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the rest of the olive oil and butter. Let the butter melt. 

Add the drained lingiuni and the parsley.  Mix well. I use tongs to mix.

Plate and add extra chopped parsley and flaked lemon sea salt.







The second recipe I made was...







Olives are in my culinary wheelhouse! These marinaded olives were so easy to make and so delicious! I'll be serving these at my girl's book club get-together soon!


StoneGable Marinaded Olives With Rosemary And Preserved Lemons

4 cups assorted olives
1/8 lb Peppadew peppers, sliced
1 TBS fresh Rosemary, finely chopped
1/2 preserved lemon, flesh removed and rinsed, peeled and finely chopped
olive oil to cover

Put the olives in a large bowl.  Add Peppadew peppers, Rosemary and preserved lemons. Stir to mix.

Jar and cover with olive oil.

They can be eaten right away or refrigerated for a few weeks. Just bring them room temperature before using.





And the third recipe I made is more like a tutorial...


HOW TO PRESERVED LEMONS

But that is for a post in a couple of week's when they are ready!!!!

Thanks, Michael Lee for the challenge and the great lemony products and for hosting  FOODIE FRIDAY!


Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top