Roasted Turkey Thighs with Herb Butter:



Thanksgiving is usually at my home and it is a loud, fun feast full of food and love!  I have made an almost perfect turkey ever since I have followed Martha Stewart's "cheesecloth" method for roasting a turkey. Really, it's not that I am a gifted cook, it is absolutely her method!  It comes out succulent and moist and everyone raves.  It is also sorta fun! Kinda like a science experiment or magic! Check out her instructions you won't be disappointed! http://www.marthastewart.com/photogallery/how-to-roast-a-turkey

I have also beem intrigued by recipes that put herb butter under the skin of a turkey to give it moisture and flavor.

This Thanksgiving I am going to combine both processes.  I have never made any poultry with herb butter under its skin, so I thought I would do a "test turkey".

It was delicious! And again, fun and easy.  So this Thanksgiving I just might have the best tasting turkey around ( at least as far as my family is concerned)!

Recipe:
4-1 lb turkey  thighs
1/4 lb (l stick) butter, room temperature
1/2-2/3 cup assorted herbs- I used rosemary, thyme, sage and chives ( I forgot the parsley)
1 bag peeled baby carrots
1 onion,  peeled and quartered
herbs for garnish

Preheat oven 425 degrees.

Chop herbs finely. 








Cream butter and add herbs. Form into a ball.





Cut into 4 equal parts.






Rinse turkey thighs and pat dry.





Gently separate skin from meat, making a pocket.





Using 1 of the equal parts, stuff  herb butter in pocket and evenly distribute. If desired add extra herbs.






Arrange turkey in a large baking dish and add carrots and onions.  Add 1/2 cup water to dish.




Roast for 20 min at 425, and lower to 350.  Cook until meat thermometer reaches 185 degrees, about 1 hour.

Arrange on plate and let rest for 10 minutes. Serve with carrots.




Serving Suggestions:
Mashed Potatoes, of course
Easy gravy * See below for recipe.




Easy Gravy:
1- 16 oz box of chicken broth
3 TBS flour
pan drippings
3 TBS white wine.
1 tsp. chicken bullion

Put all but 1/2 cup chicken broth, pan drippings, and chicken bullion in a pot and heat until just simmering.

In a large jar add 1/2 cup chicken broth and flour and shake well. Add to ingredients in pot, simmer and stir continuously until thickened, about 4 minutes. Add wine. Cook 1 minute. Serve.






This would make a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner for a small family!

 Happy Thanksgiving to All!!!!!

I am participating in Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum. I always find the most wonderful recipies and people over there. Thanks, Michael!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top