Yes, Another Ham and Bean Soup- With A Yummy Twist




Before I get into today's recipe, I must tell you that I love blogging! My first blog was posted just under 2 months ago. I have had so much fun pouring things I love and think into each post.
Today I was looking over comments you have so kindly left (each comment is a cherished gift!!!!!) and found my wonderful Son, Christopher (Tut, nickname- long story) had left 2 encouraging comments.  He is  6 hours away in Seminary and I don't get to see him nearly as often as I like. So reading them was not only a surprise, but an extraordinary gift. (Tears, and sobbing and sniffles) I am VERY blessed to have a sweet Son and very blessed to be meeting so many LOVELY people in bloggland! Thank you! Just wanted you to know.




Now ... Today's recipe is one that everyone probably has, or should have.  It is a thick, smokey ham and bean soup recipe. Just dump all the ingredients in your slow cooker. turn it on and voila, 5 hours later you have a hearty and delicious meal.  There is one little twist to this recipe that puts it over-the-top- LEMON! This soup appears on my Menu of the Week Post, http://stonegable.blogspot.com/2009/11/sg-menu-for-nov-1-nov-7-2009.html, for Sunday. Check it out.
Squeezing in the juice of 1 lemon does something magical. Give it a try!




Slow Cooker Ham and Bean:
1 pack (1 lb) assorted dried soup beans
2 quarts water,
2 smoked ham hocks
1 large onion, diced
1- 16 oz. can tomatoes
Juice of 1 lemon, pulp too
1 tsp chili powder
pepper to taste
salt to taste




Soak beans in water and 2 TBS salt overnight. Rinse and drain, 2x's
Put all ingredients in slow cooker and cook for 5-6 hrs on low. (Can cook on stove for 3 hours)
Remove ham hock and shred meat. Put meat in soup.
Enjoy.




Options:
  • If you can't find ham hocks, use 4 pork chops, 6 slices of bacon and 1 tsp liquid smoke
  • Add 1 cup diced carrots




Serving Suggestions:
*Corn Bread
*Toasted Cheese open face sandwiches
*Mexican Explosion Salad ( for recipe see weekly menu blog 11-2-09)http://stonegable.blogspot.com/2009/11/sg-menu-for-nov-1-nov-7-2009.html

Recipe can be doubled and frozen.

I am participating in Foodie Friday @ Designs By Gollum, oh so yummy!!!!! Go see.

Thank you to Debbie @ Dining With Debbie, for hosting Crock Pot Wednesday!
Photobucket

http://s755.photobucket.com/albums/xx199/darnold23/?action>
I am also joining Tasty Tuesday @ Beauty and Bedlam, and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.
Blessed with Grace

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top