Breakfast with A Friend:



I have wonderful friends! And spending time with them is something I give high priority. My dear friend Cathy came for breakfast today. We carved out a couple of precious hours to catch up and encourage eachother.

I wanted to make a special breakfast for us. Setting a little table near the windows in my living room, gave us a sun-drenched atmosphere to enjoy our time together. (Several people have commented about the portrait- it is of my daughter Jacqueline. She was a ballerina for years and in this picture she was 12)










My beloved Floragold dishes were the inspiration for this table. Passed down from my grandmother, they are sentimental favorites! Floragold was manufactured by the Jeanette Glass Company in 1950. They are a hybrid glass. Not actually depression glass or carnival glass, but in a class all their own. Floragold is also know as "Louisa".













My favorite pieces of Floragold are the little dinner plates. Just 8 1/2 inches square, they are petite and detailed. The amber gold color in these ornate dishes has a slight iredescent sheen.










The little "ice tea" cups are filled with orange juice this morning. I love the square base on the cups. The bases of the sherbert glasses are also square. I have collected piece over the years and many pieces mirror this square theme.






Floragold is quite limited in variety of pieces. But what it lacks in varitey it makes up in style. The sugar bowl and creamer have the distinctive square bottoms. I love the domed lid of the sugar bowl. The silver sugar spoon was a gift from my mother-in-law.








I found this butter dish in an antique shop. A little worse for wear, it still stole my heart! The butter knife is from my mother.







We are having yummy Butter Rum Muffins. To give them a little extra importance (oh, they really deserve it!) they are elevated in domed glass pedestals. These giant muffins sit in a little fun fluff just for sass!










The table cloth and napkins are also from my grandmother.  They are a heavy white damask. My grandmother would have been 101 on Jan 24th. Her memory is always with me in the treasures she has passed on to me.

I used silver napkin rings to make big feminine bows from the napkins.













White tulips and small orchids closely matching the color of  the Floragold grace the center of the table in a slender vase. I found this vase in an antique shop. It is not floragold but the color was right. The vase sits in a Floragold candy dish.










Cathy and I drank far too much coffee, saved our muffins for lunch and solved all the world's problems as the two hours flew by!




The Menu:
Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
Coffee
Mixed Berries
Butter Rum Muffins
Herbed Scrambled Eggs with Cheese In Toast Cups
Hickory Smoked Bacon

I am posting the recipe for the eggs in toast cups for Foodie Friday.







I am joining Susan at Between Naps On The Porch for Tablescape Thursday. Join In!






0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top