Pink Saturday:


Today I saw a Valentine's display at the grocery store. It was impressive! Among all the red and pink candies, chocolate goodies and every sort of heart, I found a bag of cinnamon heart candy! You know, those red, burn your mouth delicious candies. Yummy! No, I didn't buy them, but came right home and made my own homemade version. Although not heart shaped, my candy is crunchy, hot pink and tastier than its store bought counterpart.

I am giving these candies as gifts for some sweet people on my Valentine list! And I am sharing my recipe with you. They are so easy to make and very fun too!

*There are just two precautions if you are making them. First, keep a bowl of ice water by you when you are working with sugar mixtures and heat- any surgar that gets on you will burn and you need to immediately immerse the affected area in the ice water.. And second, make sure you take the sugar mixture off of the flame and DO NOT breathe in or get your face near the mixture when you add the cinnamon oil. This can be dangerous.

Recipe:
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon oil (oil, not flavoring. Oil can be found in cake decorating stores, and pharmacies)
1/2 teaspoon red food coloring (I used pink food coloring paste from Wilton's)
1 lb. bag of confectioner's sugar

Evenly distribute the confectioner's sugar in a large sheet pan. Set aside.


In a large saucepan, combine sugar, water and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Once it boils do not stir and cook over medium-high heat until  candy thermometer reads 310° (hard-crack stage). Remove from the heat. KEEPING FACE AWAY FROM THE SUGAR MIXTURE, stir in cinnamon oil and food coloring. DO NOT GET YOUR FACE NEAR THE MIXTURE OR BREATHE IN THE FUMES, THE SMELL IS VERY STRONG.


Immediately pour onto a powdered sugar covered sheet pan. Gently roll the pan to spread. Let stand at room temperature until cool.


Gently hit cooled candy with a knife handle and crack it, or pick up and crack into bite size pieces.



Roll candy in confectioners sugar to prevent sticking. Yield: 1 pound. So pretty!


Package in cellophane and tie with a pretty bow!
Share with someone you LOVE.


I am participating in Pink Saturday. Thanks to my friend Beverly for hosting this wonderul weekly event.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top