Weekly Menu

This is the fourth week in my "Eating From My Freezer/Pantry Challenge".
I am still pretty well stocked, and able to find many recipes to accomodate my stockpile of food. But, I can now see the back of the top shelf of my big freezer. Big accomplishment!

Last week I invited anyone who wanted to clean out their freezer and pantry and get organized to join me in the challenge. It's not too late to join! Just click on the hot pink refrigerator at the right side of my blog to learn more.

Mrs P at Faithfullness Farm and Jeanette from Starting Over jumped right on board! Let us know how it is going! Others joining us are Yankee Doodle at From My Suitcase, Kathleen at Cusine Kathleen, Marty at A Stroll Thru Life and Lucky at Making My Own Luck. Good for all of you! Keep us posted. I also heard from my dear friend at The Tablescaper- she just took an inventory of her freezer this week. Way to go!
Astrisked (*) food is from my freezer or pantry.

It is my goal to use up what I have and then keep an organized freezer and moderately stocked pantry. I want to know what I have at all times so I never again have 5 frozen chickens in my freezer or will never have to run out to get ingredients for a dish in the middle of making it!

Monday:
Salmon Cakes With Dill Sauce
Spinach Splashed With Vinegar*
Tasty Taters

Recipe Salmon Cakes:
Thursday's Menu for Week of Nov 2-8, 2009,  http://stonegable.blogspot.com/2009/11/sg-menu-for-nov-1-nov-7-2009.html. I have canned salmon, panko bread crumbs and onions on hand.

Recipe: Tasty Taters
4 Baking Potatoes*
2 sticks butter*
1-2 onions, thinly sliced*
Salt and pepper
Aluminum foil

Preheat oven 400 to degrees. Scrub baking potatoes. Place potato horizontally on a cutting board and make 5 evenly spaced cuts in the potato almost all the way through ( If you cut it through, don't worry, just stick it together when you wrap it). The potato will fan out slightly.  Slice all 4 potatoes.

Place a thinly sliced onion and a pat of butter (aprox. 1 tsps.) in each slit in the potato. Onion will stick out of the potato. Salt and pepper potato.
Wrap securely in aluminum foil. Put potatoes on baking sheet and bake until done, approximately 50-60 minutes. Potato should be fork tender.
Serve with foil intact and take off foil just before eating.

Tuesday:
Veal Picatta
Spaghetti*
Greek Salad

Recipe Veal Picatta
See Chicken Picatta Recipe from Menu Nov 30- Dec 3, 2009- Tuesday's Menu, http://stonegable.blogspot.com/2009/11/menu-nov-30-dec-4-2009.html. I have 3 veal cutlets* in the freezer, capers in the pantry and lemons in the frig.  I LOVE veal and it makes a great picatta. Just replace the chicken in the recipe with the veal.

Recipe: Greek Salad
4 cups romaine lettuce (I like lettuce in my salad)
1 english cucumber. peeled and diced
1/2 green pepper, diced*
1 pint grape tomatoes
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/2 cup kalamata olives*
1/2 cup feta cheese*
1/2 cup croutons- homemade or large store bought*
Gazebo Room- Greek  Salad Dressing and Marinade*, enough to coat salad ( I am a bit of a salad dressing snob- I love to make my own, they taste light-years better, but this dressing is as good as I could ever make so this is a staple in my pantry)

Mix all ingredients except croutons and dressing. Coat salad with salad dressing and add croutons and lightly toss.


Wednesday: Slow Cooker Day
Taco Soup
Chips and Salsa

Recipe: Taco Soup
I have not tried this one yet- but here is the link. I have so many of these items in my pantry I can't resist making it, and anything from Paula Deen has to be wonderful!

Thursday:
Venison Boredlaise
Mashed Potatoes
Fried Cabbage

Recipe: Venison Bordelaise
Thanks to Maggie at The White Farmhouse where  you will find this wonderful recipe. She posted it just for me- what a gracious friend. She knows that I am anxious, to say the least, about making the game meat in my freezer. Maggie, you are a dear. Just be near your computer for a little cyber hand-holding and encouraging!

Recipe: Fried Cabbage
1 head cabbage washed and thinly sliced* (I have 1/2 head, so I will make it with what I have)
1 onion, chopped*
3-6 TBS veggie oil*
salt and pepper*

In a large skillet or dutch oven, heat 3 TBS veggie oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent and soft, about 4 minutes.
Add 1 TBS veggie oil and cabbage. Salt and pepper generously. Cook on med high heat, stirring ocassionally letting cabbage wilt and brown. Add additional oil if it sticks to pan. Cook for 15-20 minutes until reduced, soft and brown. It will be mellow and sweet/savory. Yummy!

Friday:
Roasted Chicken* (3 to go!)
Left Over Mashed Potatoes
Roasted Root Veggies

Recipe: Roasted Root Veggies
1 onion peeled and sliced into strips*
2 carrots, peeled, cut lengthwise and sliced into 1-2 inch chunks*
1/2 lb celery root, rough chopped
2 potatoes, scrubbed, and rough chopped*
1 turnip, rough chopped*
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced*
3 TBS olive oil*
salt and pepper*

Preheat oven 450 degrees.  Put all veggies in a large bowl. Toss with olive oil. Salt and pepper liberally.
Turn veggies out onto a large baking sheet with edge. Bake for 30-40 minutes, turning once. They should all be fork tender.

Saturday:
Pecan Crusted Cod
Shoestring Potatoes
Roasted Brussel's Sprouts

Recipe:
Pecan Crusted Cod
I have cod, cashews (instead of pecans), and most of the ingredients in this recipe. I am using hash browns from the freezer instead of shoestring potatoes.

Sunday: Soup Day
Matzo Ball Soup

Recipe: Matzo Ball Soup
3 Chicken Legs*
3 Chicken Thighs*
1 yellow onion,  rough chopped*
3 celery ribs, rough chopped*
2 carrots, peeled, rough chopped*
2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced*
2 ribs celery, thinly sliced*
4 cups water*
4 cups chicken stock*- I have a small box, but need 1 more
Bouquet garni -handfull of fresh parsley, bay leaf and thyme, tied together
Salt and pepper*
Box of Matzo ball mix* (I have 6 boxes- who on earth has 6 boxes?)

Put chicken in a large pot and cover with water and chicken stock.  Put onion, celery, carrots and bouquet garni in pot on a meduim heat. Bring to a simmer and skim off any scum. Continue to simmer, uncovered for 1 hour.

Remove chicken to a plate and cool. Using a hand stainer, catch all vegetables and bouquet garni in strainer and discard.  Add 2 chopped carrots and celery to broth and continue to simmer  for another 30 minutes.

Make matzo balls according to instructions on box.
Take chicken meat off of the bone and shed into the broth. Heat and add matzo balls.

Bon Appetit!
I am participating in Menu Monday at I'm An Organizing Junkie.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top