Slow Cooker Soup- Taco Cheese Soup:



This soup is Paula Deen meets StoneGable! I started out making Paula's wonderful Taco Soup... but I just got a little carried away! I took out a little of this and that from her recipe... and added a pinch of this and a pound of that to make a soup all my own.I ended up with a soup that the 3 men at my table just loved.

This is not a delicate or gourmet soup. If you are looking for a stick to your ribs, hearty, BIG flavor meal-of-a-soup, then this is the one for you. So easy to make, it is almost embarrassing. I got so many compliments from my men... but I didn't tell how little work went into it.

And Paula... if you are reading my blog, I would love to meet you! I am in Savannah again this coming March for the Historic Home and Garden Tour... it's like finding the Mothership! So let's get together for some sweet tea and and a goodie with lots of butter!

And to all of you... "Best dishes from my blog to you"!

Recipe: Taco Cheese Soup (Adapted from Paula Deen's Taco Soup)
2 pounds ground beef
2 cups diced onions
2 (15 1/2-ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 1/2-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups frozen corn
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
1 (14 1/2-ounce) jar mild salsa
1 32oz. box beef broth
2 (1 1/4-ounce) package taco seasoning mix
1 (1-ounce) package ranch salad dressing mix
1 medium pkg mild mexican velveta cheese, cubed
Crisy Tortilla Strips- recipe follows
Sour cream, for garnish
Grated sharp cheese, for garnish
chopped green onions, for garnish

 Directions
Brown the ground beef and onions in a large skillet; drain the excess fat, then transfer the browned beef and onions to a large slow cooker or a stockpot. Add the beans, corn, tomatoes, salsa, beef stock,  taco seasoning, velveta cheese and ranch dressing mix, and cook in a slow cooker on low for 6 to 8 hours or simmer over low heat for about 1 hour in a pot on the stove(if cooking soup on stove omit cheese and add at the end of cooking time- stir in until it melts) . To serve, top with sour cream, cheese, green onions and crispy tortilla strips.

Tortilla Strips:
3-4 large flour tortilla
vegetable oil
salt

Heat a large skillet. Add 1 inch of oil in skillet and heat to 350 degrees. Cut tortillas into 1/2 inch strips. Add strips in skillet and watch them very carefully so they do not burn.  Turn when brown. They only take a minute so watch them carefully.
Remove from skillet and drain on a paper towel. Salt immediately. Yummy!


Bye Ya'll!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top