I am not much of a breakfast person. But as I am getting older I notice that my body runs better with a little nutrition on board in the morning!  A pot of coffee before noon does not do the trick anymore!

I needed something that I could easily grab when I am headed out the door early in the morning.

I have been working on a breakfast cookie... one that would taste good, be easy to make and give me a little lasting energy. I love peanut butter and a little bit of chocolate...so I wanted to make a cookie that satisfies that desire too!







StoneGable Breakfast Cookie has a nice mild peanut butter flavor. This breakfast cookie is low in sugar and fat and  is pumped up with healthy and high fiber grains! What I especially like about this cookie is that it is not very sweet. A little raw sugar sprinkled over each cookie adds just a bite of extra sweetness! It has a crisp crumbly texture that satisfies my love of crunchy foods!

Add a glass of skim milk and a piece of fruit and you have a great and filling breakfast!








StoneGable Breakfast Cookies
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup high fiber cereal ( I used Fiber One)
1/4 white flour
1/4 white whole wheat flour or 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg
1 cup natural peanut butter (I used Smart Balance Peanut Butter)
1/4 brown sugar ( if you like a sweeter cookie you can use up to 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup canola oil ( I used a canola/olive oil blend)
2 tps. pure vanilla
up to 1/4 cup milk
1/2-1/3 60 % cacao bittersweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup dried fruit, optional
raw sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Crush fiber cereal in a zip type bag with a rolling pin. Add oatmeal, cereal, flours, wheat germ, baking soda and salt to a large bowl. Whisk to mix.

In another large bowl whisk together egg, peanut butter, sugar, oil and vanilla.


Mix dry ingredients and stir till just incorporated, dough will be very stiff. Add chocolate chips and dried fruit.

If the dough is very very dry you can add a little milk.

Drop cookie dough in 1 TBS balls onto a parchment lined baking sheet.









Spray the back of a fork with cooking spray and flatten cookies with the back of the fork in a cross-hatch manner.








Sprinkle with raw sugar if desired.

Bake for 13 minutes. Take out of oven and cool completely.







Afterthoughts: Next time I make these I will forgo the chocolate chips and lightly drizzle a little chocolate over the cookie instead. Chocolate chips are a bit too much chocolate for me first thing in the morning!


This batch of cookies was made without the dry fruit... and if my calculations are correct, each cookie is about 90 calories and contains fiber and nutrients to start your day!



Remember to

Pin It






0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top