This beautiful plate of hors d'oeuvres took minutes to make an assemble. And doesn't it look yummy!

A  plate like this can be used as hors d'oeuvres or even as part of a meal. It has those scrumptious Mediterranean flavors we all love!

No one will care that you didn't spend hours slaving away in the kitchen when they can nibble on such great savories...


All these intensely flavored tidbits came from my grocer's deli isle. I am just amazed at all the wonderful, high quality food we can get ready-to-eat from the grocer's!



I chose 3 distinct flavors for my hors d'oeuvre platter. A tangy tomato bruschetta, pungent oil cured olives and soft cheeses. Three  selections are plenty... even for a group!


Toasting the baguettes was the only cooking I did. A day old baguette was cut up, brushed with olive oil and put into a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes until they were just golden brown and crisp. To make this appetizer even easier, store bought panini  could be substituted.




I think the real trick to making GOOD QUALITY store bought food  into a delicious starter or part of a meal is the presentation. We all eat with our eyes first!

 The food itself is so colorful and sensual that I served it on a very neutral, all white background.


 It is important to stage store bought hors d'oeuvres to look better than homemade. I added fresh herbs to the mozzarella and feta cheese as well as the bruschetta.  And drizzling a little extra olive oil over the olives made them look shiny and plump.



Here are some great deli isle finds to add to an hors d'oeuvre platter...

~bruschetta
~olives
~fresh cheeses
~roasted red peppers
~hummus
~marinaded mushrooms
~marinaded artichoke hearts
~marinaded heart of palm
~pickled vegetables
~tapenades
~ onion marmalade
~soft cheeses
~tzatziki
~ pate'
~ toasted baguettes
~panini rounds
~flatbread
~bread sticks
~toasted pita triangles


So save yourself a whole lot of work and pick up some tasty bites at the deli isle! 

Here is my rule of thumb for entertaining...

If I am cooking a meal, I buy the hors d'oeuvres... and if I make the hors d'oeuvres... we grill!


Pin It

I am joining FOODIE FRIDAY at Rattlebridge Farm
Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen's

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top