We are certainly in the dog days of summer here at StoneGable! The temperatures is soaring and the humidity hangs heavy in the air.  Our lawn is browning, and it is a chore to keep all my flowerpots watered!

I am not out in the garden as much... only for a while in the morning and harvesting in the evening. The lettuce is long gone, and the onions have all been harvested. They are lined up on newspaper on a utility table in the garage so they can dry out. My whole garage smells of onions!

This is the first year I have garden shallots. They were so easy to plant and harvest!  I'll plant even more next year. I was reading that they can be planted in a pot. I'll give this a try and post about it in the spring.

The tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, fennel, collards and beans are in high yield mode now! The cukes and zucchini are producing their last offerings. A cucumber bug got them. This sometimes happens in an organic garden.

This year my compost bin is yielding gourds and pumpkins. I have a big fat green, soon to turn orange, pumpkin in the grass outside the compost bin. These big pumpkins don't like my garden, but the sure love my compost bin. What a fun surprise!

These days I am busy canning and freezing and making all sorts of fresh goodies. I just don't want to waste a morsel! Everything in my garden is a gift! A great big wonderful culinary gift! And I am enjoying this gift that tangibly connects my kitchen and my garden!




MONDAY
Grilled Pieogies And Kielbasa
Grilled Garden Onions
Garden Tomatoes

Recipe: Grilled Pierogies And Kielbasa
I am showing my Hungarian roots! This recipe comes from the July/August edition of Food Network Magazine, a fabulous resource for great recipes and all things food network! You can also see this recipe on line by clicking HERE.
2 lb kielbasa (I use turkey kielbasa)
2 TBS whole grain mustard
2 TBS apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large while onions, cut into 1/2 rounds
1 lb package frozen potato-and-cheddar pierogies (do not thaw)
salt and pepper
1/4 cup rough chopped parsley

Preheat grill to medium.
In a bowl mix mustard, vinegar and oil. Whisk. Add onions and kielbasa and toss.

Grill kielbasa until done. Put on platter and set aside.

Grill onions in a veggie basket until lightly charred. Plate with kielbasa

Grill pierogies, covered for 5 minutes until the become soft and slightly browned. Turn, cover and grill for an additional 4 minutes. Plate with kielbasa, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with parsley.
Printable Recipe


TUESDAY
Greek Orzo And Grilled Shrimp Salad

photo credit: Wives With Knives


Recipe: Greek Orzo And Grilled Shrimp Salad
One of my go-to foodie blogs is Wives With Knives by my friend Cathy. Her recipe are always winners.
When I saw this yummy dinner salad on a past ON THE MENU MONDAY I  knew I would have to make it. Click HERE to get this wonderful recipe.

WEDNESDAY
Eggplant Parmesan Casserole For Two
Arugula, Shaved Parmesan, Pine Nut Salad With Lemon Vinaigrette

This recipe looks like a delicious way to use up the gorgeous eggplants in my garden.. without all the fat of traditional eggplant Parmesan!

Recipe: Eggplant Parmesan Casserole For Two
This recipe comes from Cooking For Two from America's Test Kitchen. Make it in a 8 1/2 by 5 1/2 shallow baking dish. It makes enough for 2.
3 TBS olive oil
1 medium eggplant, sliced into 3/4 inch thick rounds
3 garlic cloves, pressed or finely minced
1 1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes ( I am using garden plum tomatoes)
1 TBS chopped basil
4 oz. part-skim ricotta cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 large egg
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Brush with olive oil.  Put eggplant in a large bowl and drizzle with 1 TBS oil and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt. Toss. Put eggplant in a single layer on the baking sheet. Roast eggplant for 35-45 minutes until golden brown, flipping half way through the baking. Cool eggplant and lower oven to 375 degrees.

Meanwhile heat 2 tsp. oil in a saucepan and add half the garlic. Cook on medium for 1-2 minutes.Add crushed tomatoes and stir. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat and season with basil, salt and pepper. Put on the saucepan lid and keep warm.

In a bowl mix ricotta, 6 TBS Parmesan cheese, egg and a dash of salt and pepper.

Evenly layer 1/4 cup tomato sauce, half the roasted eggplant, 1/4 cup more tomato sauce, 1/2 the ricotta mixture, 1/2 the Parmesan cheese that is left in an 8 1/2 by 5 1/2 inch loaf style pan. Repeat the layers.

Cover the pan tightly with foil that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake until bubbly, about 25 minutes.

Mix the remaining 1 tsp oil, 1 tsp garlic, 2 TBS Parmesan cheese and the Panko bread crumbs in a bowl. Toss.

When the 35-45 minute cooking time is over, take the eggplant out of the oven and take off the foil. Sprinkle with the Panko mixture and continue to bake for an additional 25 minutes. Let casserole sit for 3-5 minutes before serving.
Printable Recipe


THURSDAY
Artisan Pizza On The Grill
Garden Tomatoes


Recipe: Artisan Pizza On The Grill
I have pizza dough in my freezer and fresh tomatoes, peppers, onions and herbs in my garden. I can just taste how delicious this pizza will be. Sooooo easy and company worthy! Click HERE to see recipe and how-to's


FRIDAY
Crepes With Summer Vegetables


Recipe: Crepes With Summer Vegetables
Have you ever come across a recipe that is so exquisite and filled with inspiring ingredients? I have... many times. That is usually one of the biggest reasons I try it! This recipe just took my breath away! Mona at Providence Ltd. Designs has a gorgeous blog and this recipe is nothing short of gorgeous too!. Click HERE to see this fresh and stunning dish!

SATURDAY
Stuffed Peppers
Corn On The Cob
Endive Spears With Bleu Crumbles, Mandarin Oranges, Walnuts And Balsamic Reduction

Recipe: Stuffed Peppers
Last week my husband said he would enjoy having stuffed peppers since we have so many huge peppers in our garden. DRAT! STINK! SUGAR!... BUSTED! In all the centuries we have been married I have never made him a stuffed pepper... I don't like them. I know, I know.... shocking!  Stuffed peppers, peas and lamb... YUCK ( I went to a Scottish boarding school and ate mutton and many mushy peas, 'nuf said!). In our home everyone is allowed to not like a few things. But since my Bobby asked, I am making stuffed peppers. GROAN! Am I whining a little?


I love the stuffing in it, and I love peppers, but the combo~ not so much! So let me put a clothespin on my nose and get over it! I make halpukies and so I 'll make the same stuffing and sauce that I make for them and stuff those big garden peppers. I have never actually made stuffed peppers so make this recipe at your own risk...and remember the clothespin... and whine a little while making them... I think it enhances the flavor!
4-6 large bell peppers (depends on the size of the peppers)
1/2 cup uncooked rice, cook according to package directions
2 TBS vegetable oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
1 pound ground beef
1/2 pound Bob Evan's sage sausage (bulk), or any good pork sausage
1 egg
salt and pepper
1 can tomato soup
1 small can tomato sauce
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
I a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onions until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Remove skillet from heat. Add rice, ground beef and pork sausage. Mix together. Add the egg and season with salt and pepper. Mix well.

Rinse peppers under cold water and dry. Slice off the top of the pepper, the stem and 1 inch of the pepper. Clean out the seeds and the membranes of the pepper. Put cleaned peppers  in a in a baking dish. Spoon stuffing mixture into all 6 peppers.

Mix tomato soup, tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce together in a bowl. Pour sauce over the stuffed peppers. Bake for 45 minutes-1 hours, basting every 15 minutes. The peppers are done when they have an internal temperature of 160 degrees.
Printable Recipes

SUNDAY
Southwest Dinner Salad
Homemade Decaf Coffee Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

Recipe: Southwest Dinner Recipe
3 TBS lime juice
3 TBS vegetable oil
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 clove garlic, pressed or finely diced
1 lb. chicken breast tenders
1 bag romaine lettuce, rough chopped
1/4 head iceburg lettuce, rinsed, drained and rough chopped
1/2 cup black beans, drained
1 cup roasted corn kernels
1/4 cup black olives, sliced
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
lime vinaigrette, follows
sour cream
tortilla strips

Make a marinade with the lime juice, vegetable oil cumin, chili powder and garlic. Add chicken breast tenders. Marinade the chicken for 30 minutes up to 2 hours. Grill chicken until done.

In a large salad bowl toss lettuces, black beans, corn and black olives.

To make lime vinaigrette add 2 TBS fresh lime juice, 1/4 cup vegetable oil, 1/2 tsp mustard, a pinch of cumin, salt and pepper in a jar with a tightly fitted lid and shake.

Dress salad and toss.
Plate salad, sprinkle with cheese and tortilla strips. Top with slices of grilled chicken.
Printable Recipe

Recipe: StoneGable Decaf Coffee Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Look for this recipe and how-to's in an upcoming StoneGable post!



What's On Your Menu...

I can't wait to see all of your delicious dishes. Thank you for joining ON THE MENU MONDAY! 

~Please link your post using your permalink.
~Make sure you have a link back to ON THE MENU MONDAY on your post.
~ Please visit at least 2 other OTMM participants.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top