Let's make a deal... If you don't look at the blue painter's tape everywhere or the uncovered electrical sockets or the storage boxes or the ladder in the background or the missing hardware on the buffet or the mess still around because we are not finished painting... then I would love to show you the buffet I painted over the weekend.... 

Deal?     Okay...


Here is the buffet my friend Fiffer and I found last Thursday...






She was just what I had been looking for. I did feel a little guilty painting her because she is really beautiful just how she is...

Here she is painted and in my dining room... THAT WE ARE STILL WORKING ON!






Now I'll give you a little look at the dining room ... ignore the chairs without seats... ANOTHER work in progress... but this will give you a feel for the dining room's new look.







I painted the buffet with Annie Sloan Chalk Paints in Country Grey. Yes, I know that it does not look grey at all. The color is a dull, greyed down gold/ beige... after the undercoat was dry ( I try to let it sit 24 hours) I sanded it and put a wash of ASCP pure white over it.


That gives the buffet a soft striped look... very French Provincial.

I don't follow the usual protocol for painting and waxing a piece... I'll show you what I do and why next week.





I then used clear wax and a very light sludge of clear and dark wax to give the buffet depth.






I buffed her with Bobby's drill and a buffer attachment. His idea! This made such a lovely soft shine on her!

I sorta felt like I was cheating... not doing it all by hand... but I was working with a pinched nerve in my back!  Pinched nerve or not... the buffer will be a must for every painting project from now on!









I used GEDEO silver gilding wax to give the original hardware a new look. I like to let some of the old color show through just a little. It brings out the detail in intricate hardware. 

I am still looking on line for matching pieces to replace the ones that were missing. If you know of a good source please let me know.







I am letting the piece "cure" before I put anything on top of it. In a few days it will be ready to decorate. That will be fun!








In the meantime... I'll be ripping off the upholstery of another dining room chair. THIS time I have the right tools! To see the process click HERE.







Pin It


Remember to join me for...

TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS

show up and show off your creativity... any little tidbit will do!

Link goes live Wednesday at 8:00 pm







0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top