I'm cooking Valentine dinner with my man in mind. What man can resist a big juicy steak with all the fixin's!

I'm not a fan of dining out on Valentine's day... too busy and those prix pixe menus drive me crazy. I really don't feel I get the best meal at a restaurant on super busy days and holidays!

So, I'm cooking a romantic steakhouse dinner for Bobby that looks like I've been in the kitchen all day... but really it is easy and fast...







The Menu
Garden Salad with Bleu Cheese Dressing
Chuck Delmonico Steak with Wine and Shallot Pan Sauce
Steamed Green Beans Sauteed in Garlic Oil
Drunken Sauteed Mushrooms

Be My Valentine Puff Pastry Dessert

Wine
Coffee


Many people are intimidated by the thought of making a steak on their cooktops. I was one of them... for years I thought the only way to get a good steak at home was to grill it.

Grilled steaks are fabulous but now I can actually make a steak on my cooktop that I like better than one from the grill... really!

The secret is choosing the right steak and... cooking in a seasoned cast iron pan is a must. To learn how to season a cast iron pan click HERE.

Let's talk steak... My very favorite is a CHUCK DELMONICO. Not all grocer's carry them. If your grocer's meat department does their own butchering, ask if they can cut a couple for you. The other thing I really like about these steaks is that they are inexpensive. I can get four 6 oz. steaks for about $10.00!

This steak is cut from where the chuck meet the tenderloin (filet mignon). It is tender like the filet, but so much more flavorful!!! It also has great marbling so it does not dry out. Speaking of filets... very tender~ very little taste and too expensive! Not my first or tenth choice at all.

The other steak to use is a ribeye. Notice both of these steaks have a good deal of fat.  Flavor is in fat. If you are going to eat a steak ... eat a good one!

Choose other cuts like sirloin, flat iron, skirt, strip, etc. for another recipe.

My best advice it to make friends with your butcher!




 HOW TO COOK A GREAT STEAK

2  chuck delmonico steaks (or ribeye) 1 to 1~1/2 inch thick, about 6 oz~ 8 oz.
1 TBS olive oil
course salt and fresh cracked pepper

Get your cast iron pan screaming hot over a medium high heat. It will probably smoke so turn on your exhaust fan. Add the olive oil.

Meanwhile, salt and pepper your steak on one side.

 Here's my two cents when it comes to seasoning a steak.  I think they are either way under seasoned or grossly over salted! You want some salt, but remember all the salt you put on it will end up staying on the steak... or in the pan sauce.  Season your steak but don't encrust it in salt and pepper!




Gently put the steak seasoned side down in the pan. Season the top side of the steak with salt and pepper.
Now, leave it ALONE! Do not peek or move it for 4-5 minutes.

When time is up, turn your steak over and  leave it alone for another 4-5 minutes.




You might have to make a steak or two to get the exact time... I like my steaks between medium rare and medium.

When time is up remove the steak to a plate and turn off the heat under the pan.

Let the steak "rest". DO NOT CUT INTO IT. It will continue to cook a little. You are letting it rest for all the wonderful juices to settle back into the steak.

You should have a beautifully seared steak.





WINE AND SHALLOT PAN SAUCE
1 medium shallot, finely chopped
2 garlic clove, pressed
2/3 cup good red wine (a wine you would drink)
1/2 cup beef stock
2 sprigs of thyme, leaves stripped from stem
1/4 tsp beef demiglaze, optional
2 tsp butter
1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 TBS parsley, chopped
12 grape tomatoes, cut into small pieces , optional





Turn the heat to low. In the cast iron skillet the steak was cooked in add shallots. Let them cook, stirring for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.

Turn off the heat and add the wine. PLEASE DO THIS STEP. I don't have a professional kitchen and my hood could not withstand a big wine induced flame! Just take the pan off any heat and it should be fine. Turn the heat back on medium and add beef broth, thyme and demiglaze. I also pour any of the juices that are on the steak plate into the pan sauce.

Simmer until half the liquid cooks off. Take the pan sauce off the heat, add butter, Worcestershire sauce and parsley. Stir until butter melts.

Plate the steak and spoon the sauce over the steak.  Garnish with tomatoes

I hope you give this easy and scrumptious steak a try!


To see the post on the easy

BE MY VALENTINE DESSERT




click HERE




Here is the Valentine Special... and me cooking!

A big thank you to Sharon from MRS HINES CLASS for hosting!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top